Monday, February 14, 2011

An Interview With Iris Waichler, Author Of Riding The Infertility Roller Coaster


Recently I had the pleasure of interviewing Iris Waichler, author of 'Riding The Infertility Roller Coaster: a Guide to Educate and Inspire'. Iris wrote this book to help empower, educate, and support men and women who are engaged in their own battles with infertility. Iris has been a licensed clinical social worker for over 30 years and worked in hospitals for over 13 years. She is also the mother of a daughter that was conceived through infertility treatment.



Why did you decide to write Riding the Infertility Roller Coaster?

I don’t believe it makes sense to write a book on a topic that was already adequately addressed. I did the research and saw there were no published infertility books that discussed men and the way they coped with infertility. I also didn’t see books that combined the personal experience of men and women with a comprehensive range of topics to help people regardless where they were in their infertility treatment.

Who did you write this book for?

I wrote this book for men and women who are experiencing infertility and are not sure how to cope, or what their resources and choices are. I also wrote this book to help friends and family understand the devastating impact of infertility and learn how they can support loved ones through the infertility treatment process.

What specific benefits will your reader get from reading this book?

People who read my book will get information on how to choose legal, medical, and psychological support to combat their infertility. They will find information to help make necessary choices about treatment and other family building options. It helps the reader feel less alone and more in control of whatever decisions must be made.

What subjects does Riding the Infertility Roller Coaster cover?

The book covers a broad range of topics beginning with choosing a doctor, clinic, or lawyer. It covers family relationships and family building techniques like IVF, adoption, and surrogacy. I ask how do you know when to stop treatment? It also looks at parenting issues like becoming a couple, how infertility impacts parenting, and being older parents.

Who should buy this book?

My book is written for men and women who are experiencing infertility and are not certain what steps to take. It also offers valuable information for friends and family that will help strengthen relationships. The stress of infertility can destroy relationships.

You have experience writing 3 books, what is the process you use when beginning a new book?

The first thing I do when writing a book is spend time researching to ensure that I have something important to say that has not been said before. My books have an advocacy theme. I want to speak to the reader in new and creative ways and give them the tools they need to feel empowered enough to advocate for themselves.

What is different about your infertility book compared to other books on infertility?

My book is unique because I included interviews with both men and women. Men react differently to infertility. I also included a range of topics I had not seen elsewhere. I wanted to provide my reader the information they would need to go from the moment they learned they were infertile to becoming an older parent or knowing when to stop trying for a healthy pregnancy and learn alternatives!

You have experience writing 3 books, what is the process you use when beginning a new book?

When I write a book the first thing I do is a literature review to see what has been published and who the publishers are. I see how the market for that particular topic is. I must know I can offer something new and believe there is an audience for it. I write an outline about what I want to say and how I want to say it. Then I begin the writing.

What were the biggest challenges in getting your book published?

I wrote to over 50 publishers. Some had gone out of business. Several told me nobody cared about infertility. I knew that wasn’t true. I had to find a publisher that understood the importance of my topic and was willing to take a risk on me.

How did you find a publisher?

A friend gave me a copy of Brainchild Magazine and pointed to an article and said read it. It was about Nancy Cleary and her publishing company, Wyatt-MacKenzie. She strongly believed in women authors who were stay at home moms. I contacted her and the next day she asked for my manuscript and agreed to publish my book.

How has the publishing world changed since you published your first book in 1988?

The publishing world has gone through enormous changes since my first book in 1988 which I wrote on a typewriter. I was an unknown writer and after contacting 5 publishers I had a contract. Today publishing companies are being swallowed up by 2-3 large companies. Independent publishing and do-it-yourself publishing has arrived and offers new options for less known authors. Digital books have changed the playing field as well giving people a chance to be discovered via the internet.

What were the biggest challenges you faced when trying to market your book?

Marketing was a new world for me. My publisher helped me establish my platform, my brand, and my website. I wasn’t sure how to best use radio, print media, and especially social media to get as much publicity as I could for my book. My goal was to get the best exposure for the least money.

What have you done to continue to market your book?

I work on marketing daily. I do freelance articles and contribute to blogs on infertility related topics. I use HARO and Reporter connection to pitch print, tv, and radio media. I follow blogs and current news on infertility topics.

What kinds of social media do you use to build your brand?

I do social media daily. I have a Twitter site called Ioninfertility where I tweet multiple times a day. I also use Facebook as a way of promoting my book and events that I do.

What advice would you give other authors trying to get published?

Write about something you feel passionate about. Also, I entered book competitions and won 4 awards. The cost is low and I got a lot of national free press exposure as a result. Have a good website. Don’t go into it expecting to make a lot of money. Be patient and prepared to continue to promote yourself and your work.

Where can we buy this book?

My book is available on Amazon. It can be purchased through my website at www.infertilityrollercoaster.com. You can also have your local bookstore order it.